The Law- Expungement / Record Clearance (Video)

This video, discusses getting your DUI expunged in California, how to do it, and what it will accomplish.  We discuss expungement, record clearance, termination of probation, why these terms are important and how they can affect your employability. Getting your DUI expunged is a necessary first step to clearing your record, but there are some limitations to expungement– certain things that expungement won’t accomplish.

Clearing Your Record (Video)

This video discusses expungement, also called record clearance, of your DUI conviction in California, as well as termination of probation.  Termination of probation and record clearance  or expungement are a must if you are looking for work.  The cost of record clearance or expungement is low and it is easy to do!  So do it!

Record clearance is a method of clearing misdemeanor convictions. It is provided by California Penal Code Section 1203.4. If you were convicted of a misdemeanor DUI you can get the court to re-open your case and dismiss it, so that it ultimately goes down as a dismissal and not a conviction.

This allows you to advise a potential employer that you have not been convicted. You may have been arrested but the charges were dismissed.

PC 1203.4 provides that there are three occasions where you have to disclose that you were convicted of a crime. If you are applying to be a contractor for the Lottery Commission; if you are running for public office; or if you are applying for any kind of license with any state or local government agency, then you must disclose the conviction. By license 1203.4 means any kind of license: a drivers license, a fishing license or a license to practice law.

The process for expungement is really quite simple, but there are requirements. First, you must have paid all your fines, attended DUI school, completed your work release and completed all the other terms of your sentence. Second, it helps, but isn’t always necessary, for you to have served the entire term of your probation (usually three years). If you haven’t completed the term of your probation, then you must file a motion to terminate probation first. You also must not have violated probation.

For more information, call us and we will be happy to answer your questions!